Monday, January 17, 2011

I Have a Dream!

Today the nation celebrates the birth of Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. On this day we are supposed to participate in activities that work towards the goal of keeping Rev. King's dream of racial equality alive.  There will be breakfasts, brunches, parades, church services, and special activities geared toward the betterment of your community.  I find all of these things admirable.  Especially with the social climate our country and the world today.  We all need to be doing everything that we can to make sure that everyone is seen by who they are. That we are judged by our actions and contributions to society. 

Currently I'm reflecting on Rev. King's famous "I Have A Dream" speech and thinking of all of the things that I could be doing right now to make the world a better place.  Wondering what Tee could be doing to make a change? Since I am a firm believer in providing service to all mankind, this shouldn't be too hard for me.   We already now that I'm down for making the world a better place for me to rule and govern, so the things that I'm about to say should not surprise you. 

In keeping with the theme of the day I've decided to tell you all about all of the things that I dream of, the things that I wish could happen sometime in the immediate future to make the world a better place for you and me.  These things may also be the dreams of someone that you know and love.  They may also be something that you didn't even know needed changing.  Fair warning, you are going to judge me before this is all over with, but try to stay with me until the end. 

I Have A Dream - The Official TeeMix

I am happy to join with you today in what will go down as one of the most prolific blog posts in Tee's history. 

I say to you today, my friends, so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream.  

I have a dream all women will remember to wear Spanx and other appropriate foundation garments will be worn under leggings, jeans, tight dresses, and St. John's suits.  

I have a dream that the appearance of BADs and VPLs will be eradicated with the use of said foundation garments.

I have a dream that black women and white women will make hair removal a priority.  That XXs with beards, side burns, hairy legs, thick eyebrows, and fuzzy arm pits will be shut down!

I have a dream that grown men will stop wearing cornrows.

I have a dream that young men will recognize that wearing a belt is not a bad thing.  That wearing their pants OVER their ass is necessarily a bad thing either.

I have a dream that good music will make a comeback.  That instead of folks telling us to "say ah" and "imma beat it up" that someone will say "turn off the lights" and we'll be able to figure out what happens next.

I have a dream that my little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.  That their character will not be judged by the dumb shit that they say and do.  That their illogical and illegal postings on FB and Twitter will not follow them for the rest of their days like bad credit.
I have a dream today.

 I have a dream that people will stop acting like President Barack Obama is the second coming of Jesus Christ.  He is just a man.  He is not here to save the world. 

I have a dream that one day, down in Arizona, with its vicious racists, with its governor having her lips dripping with the words of interposition and nullification; one day right there in Arizona, little brown boys and brown girls will be able to join hands with other little boys and girls.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that all of these things will happen in my lifetime.  That I will see a world where foolishness, shenanigans, tomfoolery, and ridiculousness are only things that we recall in our memories.  This is my hope.  This is the faith that I surf the innanets with.  That we will be set free from the bondage of no common sense and piss poor decisions!

And when this happens, when we allow freedom to ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual, "Free at last! free at last! thank God Almighty, we are free at last!"

I have a feeling more people are gonna hate me off of this one than the time I talked about Eddie Long's wig and Creflo Dollar's shady bookkeeping. Ah well. You all will totally get over it eventually.  It's not like I called MLK Jr. out of his name or anything.  I merely used his words as a catalyst for change in my world.  Isn't that what this day is all about anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment