Wednesday, December 1, 2010

You Say He's Just A Friend...

OK people.  We have another inbox question.  This one deals with relationships.  Now...I'm no expert on this kind of stuff.  I've only been tied down to the same guy for almost 4 decades (slight exageration).  So I can only give insight based on the things that I've seen and experienced while on love lockdown with this dude.  That said I give you Special Request #2!
___________________________________________________________________________

Dear Tee,

I have a male bestfriend that I adore! We've been friends for over a decade. We've supported each other thru EVERYTHING(illness/death of parent, bad relationships, job loss, etc. and our best times as well). Every mutual friend that we have swears we are wasting our time with other people, that we have a better relationship than most married couples. Recently, he has made some comments about wanting something more. I'm VERY hesitant to even address the comments for fear of it changing us. I don't want to jeopardize our friendship by crossing the line. Is it EVER safe to date a friend?? I would be devastated if our friendship ended by entertaining a relationship for a limited time!! Would like to know your insightful opinion...

Thanks,
A hesitant heart



Dear A Hesitant Heart,

Before we start I'm gonna tell you that I'm just gonna call you HH.  Too many key strokes in your name.  This is a difficult question because there are so many layers and facets to your relationship with Guy Friend that you will need to address. 
Sounds like you've already made your decision and you just want me to tell you whether or not you've made the right choice.  Well,  I'm not going to do that.  The last time I tried to tell somebody about her choice in a man I got cussed out and I just know the bitch was reaching for a blade.  I've got quick feet though so I was able to thwart her plans at snuffing out my greatness.  Anyway, instead of telling you whether or not you should jump into this relationship, how about we make a list of things to consider before entering a relationship with Guy Friend, from here on out we'll call him Keith*.

Consideration #1: HH, you say that you and Keith have been with each other through thick and thin and it appears that you both know a lot about each other.  Does this include hoe shit?  You know things that you've done with people that you wouldn't tell a soul except your BFF with the promise that if it ever got out you would know the source and react accordingly by slitting his/her throat?  If Keith knows your hoe shit, any of it, think long and hard about making him your boo.  Hoe shit is magnificent fodder for arguments.

Consideration #2: At some point you and Keith are going to spend a long night together.  Now, I don't know you HH and I'm sure may think that this is a grand assumption but dammit it's 2011, that's what grown folks do.  What if at the end of that long night you are sitting in the middle of your bed thinking, "Damn.  I coulda had a V8."  What do you do then? Relationships aren't built on long nights, but it's damn sure the glue that keeps shit together.

Consideration #3: You've seen Keith with his past flames.  How did he treat them? What makes you different? I mean, I'm sure you are a super star diva with high levels of awesomeness, attractivness, and intelligence but still....what makes you different?

In my opinion, every relationship should start as a friendship.  You and Keith have taken care of that part.  The key to making sure the relationship works is staying friends.  I think that's where a lot of couples lose their way, because there a way too many people who don't like the one they are with.

My advice to you, HH, is that you should follow your heart.  If your heart says go for it then do it, if it's telling you to stand down then back the hell up.  I hope that was helpful.  Let me know how it goes.

Tee

*name picked randomly from pool of names of dudes that I know

3 comments:

  1. Hoe Sh*t! LMBO!!! Only you would come up with that. This is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl...I can't even take credit for this one. My friend in my head Erykah Badu used it in an interview a few years back and I try to use it in a sentence everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HH I think you should try Consideration #2..I have yet to have any luck with a car I didnt test drive right off the lot. Wait wait wait why do I even comment...I have a one track mind

    FYI: I am not Keith..but if you are one of my friends HH I wouldve already 'smashed' and you would know I aint shit...

    ReplyDelete