Saturday, December 11, 2010

Real Talk

So, I was sitting in the bed earlier and a thought came to me that I would like to talk about.  Everything in Tee's world is not fun and games.  Sometimes shit gets real, real serious.  And I know that it's probably the same for most of you out there.  Apparently, I have a voice and people listen to me (who would've thunk it) so I decided to use my powers for good for at least a couple of minutes this year.  So bear with me.

This time of year is especially hard for lots of people.  The holidays bring out the some of the worst feelings and memories for a lot of us.  These memories could lead to anxiety, depression, and other emotional issues that people are too embarrassed to address because this is supposed to be "the most wonderful time of year".  So I decided I'd talk a little bit about what your options are if you are feeling not so good.

Everybody has their reasons for why they feel the way they do about the holidays.  And people act on these feelings in different ways.  Some people get super crazy and go all Uber Elf and decorate everything from their car to their kids.  Some people get super creepy and send out Christmas cards from their pet cat, Snookums (with love). Others, get super grinchy and sit around with a scowl on their face waiting for it all to be over and wondering who let all the Whos out of Whoville and when the hell they are going to make the trip back. 

Look, I'm not here to ask you the reasons why you feel the way you do and why you react the way that you do.  I'm not here to judge why you feel that way.  I just know that you do.  And I know that if the feelings get so bad that you really don't know how to manage them that you should do one thing and one thing only: SEEK HELP.  This is nothing to be embarrassed over, you would not be the first to admit that you could not control your feelings.  But actually talking to someone and finding an understanding ear is way better than sitting in a dark closet with a bottle of Children's Tylenol and a Blackberry tweeting your cries for help (I see you Fantasia).

There are LOTS of places that you can go for help.  Your Pastor, Priest, Rabbi, Imam, etc. are always a good first line of defense.  If they aren't available, find a good friend.  Preferably one the is a good listener, and who won't make your emergency situation about them.  Unless, they can truly relate and provide some good advice.  In non emergency situations, a therapist is an option,  they would provide a nonjudgemental ear and help you put together a game plan to combat your feelings and apply those lessons to real life situations.  And if all else fails, and shit gets really real and there's nobody around that you trust or can confide in dial 1-800-273-TALK, the National Suicide Prevention Hotline.  I gaurantee there will be a friendly voice on the other end that belongs to someone who's willing to go out of their way to make sure you get the help you need.

Do NOT suffer in silence.  You are not alone and there a places you can go and people you can talk to that will help you sort out your feelings.  Get the help that you need instead of coming up with a permenant solution to a temporary problem.

For more information visit:
http://www.yellowribbon.org/
http://www.befrienders.org/
http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

1 comment: