Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Darling Nicki?

Dear Tee,

I recently watched the Nicki Minaj Documentary on MTV and it totally changed my impression of her...Initially, I thought that she was being used as this hyper-sexual gimmick to make millions for the industry. However, she seems to be in full control of her image and her business. I realized that her image is no different than Madonna or GaGa( but their antics are regarded as artistic expression). She is not a replica of lil' Kim; NM rarely mentions sex in a rap(that I've heard). She is actually quite talented and creative. Have you seen the show? What are your thoughts on NM...

TW
 _____________________________________________________________________

Hello TW,

Yes, I've seen the show.  I actually watched it twice because the first time I missed the beginning.  I'll say this, the show was well done.  She has a super awesome PR squad.  Because they did a lot to humanize her.  Which was good because she's worked so hard at dehumanizing herself with all of the Barbie crap, the multiple personalities, and whatnot. 

It was interesting to see how much hard work she puts into her craft.  Which is something you have to respect her for.  And as a person who has been called a bitch a time or two, I can totally relate to her feelings on being a professional woman in a male dominated industry.  The information about her background was touching and I found myself wanting to BBM her my shoe size.  But even though I was entertained by the show, I can still say that I'm not a fan.  I'm just not that into her.  Why? Because she's STILL Nicki Minaj.  OK, this is the part where I'm going to be called a hater by somebody, somewhere.  I just can't get into her.  I don't "get" her.  I am perplexed by a her image, her accents, her lacefront choices.  Most everything about her image irritates me.  Which distracts me.  Which keeps me from really listening to what she has to say.
 
However, she plays the part of Nicki Minaj well.  And apparently, from the show, that's all it is, a character. Albeit, a nerve wreckin, nails on chalkboard, irritating, slit your wrists with a butter knife type of character.  She still plays the part with with an amount of vigor that can lightweight be respected.  Which is much more than I can say for Kimberly Jones. That heffa is now a caricature of herself.  Which to me is sad.  I used to be a huge fan.  She had so much potential.  I was enamored with her La Perla sets and premium multi-colored yaki.  She was one of the first to put hoe prose to wax and I thoroughly enjoyed that shit.  I don't know what's happened.  Prison?  Losing her main jump-off status with the death of B.I.G.? Babs Bunny taking Puff Daddy's attention for a milisecond?  I don't know. But she definitely needs Nick Minaj's people on her team.  They can teach her how to expolit bad plastic surgery with lots of contouring and padding.  Give her permission to scream "Young Money" on a track.  And of course she gets a song or two with a feature from Drake.  That shit right there is as good as Oprah playing it as her theme song. 

But like I was saying, the Minaj show was entertaining.  And yes, I do see her a bit differently now that I've gotten to know 2 or 3 more of her personalities.  But no, it does not make me wanna stand out in the cold to buy tickets to her next show.  No, I won't be dying any of my prized lacefronts fuschia.  And absolutely no, I won't be pumping my ass cheeks full of carbon monoxide or whatever the hell they use to give her girth.  I may write and ask for her surgeons info though because if they can transfer gut meat to butt meat the well I'm all about that.

Anyway, thank you for your question TW.  If you have any other topics you want to discuss feel free to drop them in the inbox or put it in the comments.  I truly appreciate you giving me the chance to give my insight. 

Tee

No comments:

Post a Comment