Saturday, March 12, 2011

Random Thoughts: Education Connection

Today's Random Thought is brought to you by the letter E. 

It was inspired by this commercial that I've been seeing for the past several months.  I know you all have seen this  before.  Every time I see it I giggle.  Because Kelly, really thinks she's jamming.  All while dressed like she works in Mel's Diner and serving up a platter full of ketchup and mustard.  And because the little ditty she's singing sounds like it was produced by Soulja Boy.  It's like a high school level Conjunction Junction.  How dreadful.




It's actually kind of insulting that the person in charge of creating this foolishness really thinks that this little girl posing as the long lost white member of The Sugar Hill Gang doing some low budget karoke will make people want to learn.  Well, it's insulting to me.  I'm sure there where thousands of people watching this at the same time that I was that said, "Damn! Now THAT'S a good idea!!"

The dehumanization (is that a word?) of education really makes me sad.  You go to this website, fill out a questionnaire, and be matched to the online program that is right for you.  It's like eHarmony and Match.com, but instead of an MRS you get a BS or MD.  I'm sure it's a good way to go for some but...I would want to do more to personalize my education experience than choosing a cute wallpaper design for my profile. 

I think some people are missing out on some of the best parts of going farther than living room for school.  This new way to learn is killing the real-world skills of our youth.  All they know how to do know is poke, tag, inbox, and IM.  If any of them had to actually socialize with people in person they would probably piss their pants.

Remember when people actually visited schools to see what they had to offer?  When the performance of the basketball and/or football team was a factor in your choice?  When getting back to your dorm room from the local watering required you to use all the physics, algebra, and geometry you had learned during the week?  When you had to actually look your professor in the eye to lie to him about why you didn't have your paper completed on time?

Shit is different.

I blame MySpace.

2 comments:

  1. I have seen this commercial many times over and it just SCREAMS, anyone, even Billy Joe Bob who can barely read can get a college degree too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I'm not knocking electronic education, especially for the busy professional. I just think a kid right out of high school should attend classes in an actual building. At least for a little while.

    ReplyDelete