Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Conversations with My Son: Greatness

If you've known me long enough you know that I'm all about self love, self worth, and self esteem.  Tee believes that in order to be the best citizen of this universe that you can be, you really need to love, honor, and believe in yourself whole heartedly.

I've been teaching these lessons to The Kid. And for the most part, to be an 8 year old he's pretty damned confident.  However, I thought I was also teaching him that with confidence you should also have a little bit of humility.

I've failed.  Some of you might call it epic.

The other day we had the following conversation while playing Phines and Ferb: Across the 2nd Dimension.

The Kid: Hey Mama.
Me: Yeah?
The Kid: I'm pretty sick.
Me: *slightly panicked Mommy mode* Oh no! Really? Does your tummy hurt? Do you have a fever? Let me go get the thermometer You should probably stop playing Wii.
The Kid: Ugh! No mama, I'm not sick.  I'm SICK! SICK!
Me: Wait. What? Seriously? I'm not following.
The Kid: *side eye of exasperation* *sigh* Look at me Mama. Really look at me. Do you see it?
Me: Uhhhhh....yeah?
The Kid: Yeah. *smiles with satisfaction*
Me: Hey. Umm. No, seriously. What are we talking about?
The Kid: *second side eye of exasperation* Really Mama? I'm SICK as in AWESOME! *flexes muscles*
Me: Oh. OK. *blank stare*
The Kid: *blank stare* Nevermind. Where's Daddy? He'll understand.

And just like that I'm tossed into the clueless mother category.  How could this be?  I taught this kid almost everything he knows about what it is to be awesome, amazing, outstanding, and stupendous. 

In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say that without my RNA/DNA combo running through those veins he'd be walking around with a Pig Pen cloud and his knuckles dragging like Cro Magnon. 

Not saying that Hubby's didn't supply some decent genetics.  He's genetic makeup just clearly is not as awesome as Tee's. 

What is this world coming to? There's actually a person walking these streets questioning my understanding of greatness!  The nerve.

I know it's been a while but I'm still keeping count.  This is sign number 4929349248945832.89-34c that the world is ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment