Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Can You Hear Me Now?


I had the most interesting conversation with The Kid this morning.  It all began with him talking about getting his yearbook signed by his classmates, then it took a left turn that had me reeling (well not really, but I did cuss a little bit).

It went a little something like this:
Him: Mama, I think I'm gonna take my yearbook to get it signed by my friends.
Me: Sounds like a good idea to me.
Him: Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get some phone numbers.
Me: Really? From who?
Him: My friends.  Some of them are girls. *smile*
Me: Interesting.  But, you don't have a phone, so how are you going to call these friends that are girls? Him: Funny you should mention that.  I think it's time for me to get a cell phone.
Me: No shit?
Him: Yeah, all my friends have cell phones.
Me: Really?
Him: Airick has a Blackberry, Kimora has an Iphone, *goes on to name several other children with smart phones*
Me: Wow. Well, let's do this. You write them all letters this Summer and tell them to use their paltry imaginations and pretend that they are texts.
Him: Dang Mama. You just shattered my greatness. I mean I'm gonna be in the 3RD GRADE!! *sigh*

Me:


Soooo....coolness in the 2nd going on 3rd grade is a cell phone?

This dude seriously came out of his face asking for an iPhone.

How on Earth are there people walking these streets thinking it's okay for children who can barely wipe their own asses to have rollover minutes?

I mean, I know this is a technological generation and all but I'll be damned if I let a dude that doesn't have a close and person relationship with FICA rock with Siri on the regular.  No ma'am.

No way I'm going to add a kid who thinks that it's completely possible that his super powers will manifest any day now to my Friends and Family plan.  I'll mess around and have all kinds of calls to Goku, Spiderman, and Thor on my bill.  No bueno.

But I tell you what I will do....

I'll dig this Nokia out of the 1996 crate and he will deal.

I'll tie 2 Dixie cups to a string and let him and his friends figure it out.

I'll give him a box full of spare buttons and foil and tell him to pretend like his name is Phineas or Ferb.

I don't have time for this foolishness.  I need you parents to let your kids be kids for just a little while longer.  Hell, we already know they are the generation that's going to end it all. Why the hell are y'all rushing shit?

3 comments:

  1. My sentiments exactly. I always tell my daughter to enjoy being a kid as they are precious times because she'll be an adult much longer (Lord willing). I think it is a shame you cannot have a conversation with a 9 year old because he is too busy texting one letter misspelled words to one person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. These kids think they need everything. Not in my house and not in 3rd gradr. The parents are the ones who need ass whoopings! They create the problems by allowing their kids to grow up too fast then wonder why they are out of control as they get older. Just ridiculous! But it wont be my child. They can hate me but in gonna make them live their childhood and grow up accordingly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL. Mine just bought $9.50 worth of bowling bucks on my tablet. She's only 3 and she has no clue what she did, but what happens when she can read the buttons! I tell her everyday that she will miss not being able to take naps :0)

    ReplyDelete